What a crapsack year.
In the World
- East Africa suffers the worst drought in 60 years.
- A 9.0-magnitude earthquake hits Japan, resulting in a tsunami and a meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear plant. An estimated 20,000 people were killed.
- Huge earthquake in Turkey killed over 600 people, wrecked everything.
- Haiti is still a wreck a year after their major earthquake. Nice going, world.
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the leader of the International Monetary Fund, most likely sexually assaulted a Manhattan hotel maid, and got away with it.
- Radical asshole Anders Behring Breivik detonated a bomb in Oslo, killing eight, and then went on a shooting rampage killing 69.
- Major flooding in Thailand threatens historical sites in Bangkok, causes lots of evacuations and damage.
- Egyptians riot, overthrow their corrupt government. Yay! Six months later, things are apparently no better. Dammit.
- Civil war in Libya, evil asshole Gaddafi kills untold numbers of civilians and rebels before he is finally killed.
- Heavy monsoon rains in Pakistan killed more than 200 people, left 200,000 homeless and inundated 4.2 million acres of agricultural land.
- There was also flooding in the Philippines, causing more than 1.5 million people to evacuate. The death toll from floods that swept the south neared 1,000.
- Flooding and mudslides in Rio de Janeiro killed 903
- New Zealand has an especially shitty year: first a 6.3 magnitude earthquake shook Christchurch, causing its famous cathedral and many modern buildings to collapse. Almost 200 people died. Then a tornado ripped through part of Auckland. Then rough weather off the North Island coast caused a cargo ship to run aground, resulting in the country’s worst ever maritime environmental disaster. Sorry, NZ.
- Arctic ice hit record lows, thanks to global climate change
- The European economy is in the shitter.
In the US
- A gunman opened fire at a political event in Arizona, killing six and wounding 12; attempted to assasinate Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in the head.
- Governor Walker screwed the state of Wisconsin, despite weeks of protest by Wisconsin citizens.
- The Southern US was hit by a shitton of tornados, killing over 300 people.
- Joplin MO was basically leveled by a monstrous tornado, killing more than 160 people and destroying 8,000 homes and businesses.
- U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner resigned after he got busted sending cell phone pictures of his junk all over the place. Fuck you, Weiner.
- Hurricane Irene was not as bad as expected, but still caused a lot of damage up the US East Coast.
- Record-breaking blizzard hits Chicago, strands hundreds of drivers on Lake Shore Drive
- Mississippi River floods (AGAIN)
- The US Congress is full of bickering children who are unable to get anything done regarding the national debt.
- Consequently, Standard & Poor’s, the credit-rating agency, downgrades the United States’ AAA debt rating.
- Penn State finally fires football coach Joe Paterno for coddling child abuser Jerry Sandusky.
- Virginia Tech has another shooting incident, W in TF
- Troy Davis is executed despite a whole fucking lot of reasonable doubt
- US Presidential Election campaigns are already irritating, promising to become infuriating in 2012.
- Republicans and many Democrats declare war on Reproductive Health Services, proposing a record number of national bills restricting access to health care and passing a record number of State laws across the country.
- Georgia and Utah pass Arizona-style racist anti-immigration bills, are assholes.
- The US economy is in the shitter.
- Amy Winehouse joined the 27 Club.
- Betty Ford
- Gil Scott-Heron, who released an awesome album just last year and was generally amazing, goddammit.
- Elisabeth Sladen, aka Sarah Jane, died from Breast Cancer, goddammit.
- Peter Falk, Steve Jobs, Elizabeth Taylor, Joe Fraizer, Heavy D, Anne McCaffrey, Dianna Wynne Jones, Harry Morgan, Christopher Hitchens, lots of other people
Also, Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon announced divorce, destroyed everyone’s faith in love.
In my personal life: I had a major health crisis, my dad is suffering from a mysterious ailment that nobody can diagnose, my beloved grandmother died, three friends of mine had their fathers in ICU due to heart attack or stroke. Also, my household economy is in the shitter.
IN SHORT: FUCK YOU , 2011
2012 : YOU WILL BE BETTER. WE GOT ALL THE BAD SHIT OUT OF THE WAY THIS YEAR, SO 2012 WILL BE GOLDEN, SO HELP ME DOG.